Saturday, November 26, 2011

Project 2 - Stage 5 - Stitches to create texture

Believe it or not, I did iron this piece of stitching before I took the photo!




It was during this exercise that I really became a fan of 'couching' and probably used it far more than I should have. I loved couching with the raffia thread - because of the texture of the raffia, it was very easy to make it do more than plain cotton or wool. I was able to raise the raffia between the couching stitches, giving it far more texture and life.




I really liked the effect of the seeding stitches especially when placed over one another repeatedly. Again with the couching but I felt more confident about making curves and shaping the base thread as I sewed it.



This exercise pushed me slightly more towards using more imagination. Again, it's hard to break away from the cycle of staying within the lines or following patterns but I actually feel as though I'm starting to do that now.








No comments:

Post a Comment