Thursday, September 6, 2012

Project 5 - Painting and Printing on Fabric - Silk Painting

Let me first start by saying that I have NEVER painted on silk before. I didn't even realise that I needed a frame to hold the silk taut. It has just been something that has never appealed to me, mainly because my only experience of painted silk had been garish scarves covered with bright flowers. Once you put 'silk painting' into Google, you will see plenty of that, however you will also see some amazing images created by very talented artists. It opened my eyes to what is achievable with silk paints.

I'm still going with the honeycomb pattern as I like how it has developed since those early sketches. When I used the watercolours to create the initial image, the small cells started to look like very strange landscapes as seen from the inside as opposed to the original context of cells filled with larvae or honey. I wanted to build upon this with the silk painting as I knew that the qualities that the paints had, would give another level entirely.

The first attempt was quite good in my opinion, it was really just about using the materials and getting used to how they worked in my hand. I realised that in places, I hadn't used the gutta effectively and that the colour started to bleed.



The salt that is intended for silk painting use, didn't give me the effect I really wanted for this piece. It was far more grainy than coarse sea salt for example. I made the cells quite big and the 'alien' landscape that I was trying to convey actually looked more like the original drawings.

For my next attempt, I was a lot more patient. I allowed the gutta to dry overnight rather than attempting to paint when it was still damp. I also took a lot more time placing the grains of salt to make sure that it wasn't just a haphazard sprinkle.









Initially, the hexagon outlines were in a very pale yellow similar to the one used in the first attempt. however when I had finished the cells, I felt that they needed to be lifted more. So I used a brown and black mix of paint which I feel, framed the cells and gave the image more of a 3D effect. 

This is definitely a medium I can see myself using in future work, I like the way the paints work together but I know I will need a lot more practice. Hence the the dark cell, as that is what happens when you are careless and drip where you don't want to!





2 comments:

  1. I have this coming up soon. I'm excited after reading your post and I really love the qualities the salt has given to your first attempt. I don't think it matters that it wasn't the effect you intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lizzy :)

    Currently trying out fabric paint prints onto a hessian type fabric. I also finally got the hang of the repeatable patterns thanks to the computer and a great little program called Inkscape, it's free and very similar to Illustrator. I'm trying to add to my sketchbook as well, something I keep putting off.

    ReplyDelete