Thursday, January 31, 2013

3D Textile Artists

Assignment 2 has been submitted so I'm about to launch myself into Part Three - Creating shapes and three-dimensional forms. I have a really positive feeling about this section. I found Part Two very hard going and had several hiatus' from it. It became such a chore and I took procrastination to whole new levels with much of the work.

A couple of the books from the recommended reading list are on their way so I've spent the last few hours wandering around the net looking for work by textile artists that I hoped would give me some kind of inspiration. One of the first who really seemed to strike a chord with me is Jo Deeley. You can find her site here. Some of her more colourful works really catch the eye but I was actually more drawn to her pieces which were one colour. There is one particular piece which I think is wonderful. It is cream and appears to be fleece.




Jo has plaited it in such a way that it reminds me of a sea anemone or coral. There are ridges and curves that flow together so beautifully. The plaits create lighter and darker areas and it cries out to me to touch it. I can imagine it feels soft but rigid along the plaits. Please go to her site and take a look at all of her work, also take some time to check out the galleries where she has exhibited.

Ruth O'Leary

Ruth O'Leary is a textile artist from Sunderland. Her main site is here but she also has a very informative blog where she shows various stages of her work for particular works. I especially like her 'Lava Bowl' which is heavily stitched freehand embroidery that has been moulded into the bowl shape. The colours are perfect together and she has given it the perfect title.


These are just two artists that I have seen today who's work I have loved looking at. I feel so much more optimistic about this module now. I hadn't realised the scope of 3d textile art and I know that I have a LOT more to see.





Image can be found at http://www.jodeeley.com/images/lS6000125.jpg - site accessed 31/01/2012


No comments:

Post a Comment