Sunday, February 12, 2012

Project 3 - Colour

Stage 4 - Colour Moods & Themes

Take three pairs of opposite words and try to find colours that express them.



I started this exercise by writing down various pairs antonyms (opposite words). And then, using watercolour pencils, tried to get some of the feeling of those words down. With 'dead' & 'alive' this was fairly easy. Green to me, as it is to many people, is always associated with living things. Fresh verdant growth, new shoots or leaves, bright vivid greens. Dead however, is black or a dingy brown.

Rational was very easy for me to visualise. It is calm waters, soft blues and gentle waves. So to me, the opposite - demented - would be scruffy and squirly, a mess of blacks and purples.


I also chose an obvious one in 'hot' & 'cold'. The obvious colours to go for were red and blue. But to me they had a different element to them. People say white hot as well as red hot. I just thought of the moment that you step into a bath that is far too hot. For just a second it feels ice cold when in reality it can be scalding. Think again about very cold temperatures. Being out in the snow as a child, losing a glove and your fingertips feeling very very hot even though they are obviously very very cold. This is why I gave the centre of each image, the white spot.














No comments:

Post a Comment