Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Project 3 - Colour

Stage 6 - Combining textures & colour effects - Exercise 1










I really enjoyed this. My base thread colour was a simple scarlet red. I worked the french knots in varying thread thickness, 2, 3 or 4 strands. Adding extra threads in the reds, using a variety of pinks and purples from the secondary colour range. My favourite however was the red and green mix. Depending on how far from or how close I was to the fabric, the thread mix became more purple or almost blue. After several hours of this, I was starting to doubt my eyesight or at the very least my colour perceptions.






Stage 6 - Combining textures & colour effects - Exercise 2




Looking back through some sketches and photos, I was particularly drawn to an image that I saw on a news site a few months previously. It was an article about some stunning ice caves. Having already done the 'hot' & 'cold' subject earlier on in this section, I thought it would be interesting to pick out one of those extremes and try to recreate it in some way.


When looking at the photo above, I saw a wide range of pastel blues intermixed with some of the more intense blues. Here is my interpretation of some of it.




























































2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! OMG those are some beautiful french knots! I love this! I have only ever managed 2 perfect french knots so far and I know its going to take a while before that skill comes back!! yours are amazing I've got some french knot envy!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jenny,

    I have to say by the end of that, I was desperate never to see a French knot again!!!
    I've added your blog to my reading list/links list as well. I love your material/colour matching photo. The stripes look really good coming away from the flowers!

    ReplyDelete