Monday, July 30, 2012

Project 5 - Printing & Painting on fabric

It's been a long time since I've done any kind of printing and I think that was with a potato when I was in Primary school or with one of those little printing sets I got one Christmas.

I decided to go with one of the sketches I have done from the honeycomb set, this was one of the earliest sketches I did and I was actually very pleased with the way that the bee turned out.



I chose to focus on the honeycomb that you can see I coloured in. The next step for me was to choose a printing material that I would feel comfortable with. I have never tried lino block cutting before and it took several attempts to get an image that I thought looked anything like the honeycomb. I found the traditional lino block very difficult to use and tried using a much softer type of lino cut. This had a definite advantage in that I didn't have to exert too much pressure on the cutter to get the shape or lines although I had to be careful not to mark any of the areas that I wanted to keep in the print, as the softness of the lino would definitely have been affected. I'm also printing these on paper with printing ink to get an idea of what they look like before I take the step of printing onto fabric.






I was disappointed that some of the lines in the outer segments weren't raised enough to leave a print so decided to try again.










As you can see, I tried repeating the pattern. I'm going to have a couple more attempts at the lino cut before I make a decision which one to try on fabric although I actually prefer the second one, above. 











No comments:

Post a Comment